A building permit is required for any construction in the Municipality of Gordon/Barrie Island. Accessory buildings smaller than 108 square feet do not require a building permit, provided that a dwelling or commercial building is already constructed. Trailers are not permitted as dwellings without a license issued by the municipality. Please see the By-Law to License Trailers for more information.
Building permits are valid for two years; if construction is not complete within that timeframe, a one year renewal of the permit may be obtained for $150.
Please click here to download a building permit application (PDF). Once the form is completed; including drawings with setbacks noted and valid survey please mail it to or drop it off at the municipal office, or leave it with Chief Building Official Dan Osborne.
Please click here to download an Energy Efficiency Design application (PDF). This application must accompany a building permit application for residences only.
For more information, please contact the By-Law Enforcement Officer.
Building Permit Fees
1) Application Fee: $150 (non-refundable; due upon application submission)
Building Permit: $.40 cents per sq. foot
$.32 cents per sq. foot for 2nd floor
2) Accessory Building: $150.00
$.15 cents per sq. foot
$.10 cents per sq. foot for second floor
3) Qualified Agricultural Building:
(ie hay storage, livestock facility, implement building): $150.00
$.08 cents per sq. foot
4) Demolition: $50.00
5) Renovations/Alterations to Structural Change: $50.00 per inspection
In addition to $150.00 application
6) Revision to existing permits: Additional $50.00 plus
$.40 cents per sq. foot
7) Structural re-location: $150.00 plus $.40 cents per sq. foot
8) Renewal: $150.00 after a two year period
9) Re-visits caused by deficiencies: $50.00 per visit
10) Penalty: $500.00
(non-compliance of Ontario Building Code Act)